Re: small partitions are faster?

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:07:48AM +0100, J.A.Serralheiro wrote:
> hello. I have a 20 gbyte fujitsu. My bios didnt recognize the disk as a 20
> gbyte so I jumpered the drive to 2gbyte to trick the bios. ( this model
> can do that). I boot on MS-DOS and then use loadlin to load boot linux.
> I made some tests using dos, and when copying files I get an average disk
> transfer rate of 5.1 Mbyte /s.
> I did the same test using linux and get 2.6 average. These tests where
> made with a 100megabyte file and a watch. :-)
> tell me something, does the faster speed is because I have dos on  2gbyte
> partition? if I had my drive partitioned into smaller partitions instead
> of having a huge 18gbyte Iwould have an increased speed performance?
>
> thanks
>

> --

I don't think partion size make much of a difference with ext2 partition, but
I could be wrong, the speed difference is probably caused by MS-DOS defaulting
to used DMA and linux not,
try install the hdparm package with it you can test you HD read speed with
'hdparm -t' and fiddle setting I use 'hdparm -c 1 -d 1 -k 1 /dev/hd?' to set 32
bit IO mode and turn on DMA.

Cheers
Joel
--
No, Gates always knew the Internet was going to be important,
just as Oceania has always been at war with East Asia. ;)