apache doubt

 Just wanted to try apache. Installed it. When I try to access
 my server thru lynx localhost, it says " you dont have permissions
 to access <the file> in this server". How do I enable permissions?
 Note that I have no experience in running servers. Just  experimenting.

               Http://www16.brinkster.com/vsuresh