From: Dietz Proepper <dietz@rotfl.franken.de>
To: p.caci@tin.it
Subject: Staroffice crashing

Hi,

sorry for mailing this to you but I am no member to
debian-users and did not see a quick way to drop a note there.
Therefore the direct mail.

regardin' the staroffice crash you posted to debian-users
a month ago, I ran into the same trouble. Some digging revealed
quickly that it had to do s.t. with the font management (go
to Options/Editor/Fonts -> *kaboom*). Also spadmin shows that
behaviour, trying to print a test page with a garbled system
yields a crash. But in contrast to soffice spadmin can be easily
straced. And now for the interesting bit ,). That traces reveal
that spadmin tries to open several Type1 fonts that still exist
in fonts.dir and fonts.scale. Removing them gave me back a working
Star Office. Due to the fact taht I am far from being a font or X
wizzard I assume that there's a better way than hand-editing but
it works so who cares ;).

If you feel that others might be interested in this too, feel
free to forward that mail to debian-users.

kindest regards

Dietz Proepper

 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:p.caci@tin.it  -  http://gusp.dyndns.org
  Firenze - Italia  | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.4.3 #1 Sat Mar 31 14:03:42 CEST 2001 i686 unknown