Using old libc for some programs?

I've just upgraded my testing distribution which installed libc6-2.3.1.

Now, one of my apps (a daemon that uses sockets (I guess)) isn't working
anymore.  That is, the daemon starts and appears to be running normally
with no errors in the log, but none of the clients can attach to it:
they all give "can't find ..." errors.

My suspicion is that its the new libc which needs to be recompiled.
However, the app is proprietary so I don't have the source to recompile
it.

What I'd like to do is run it with LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or whatever) set to
use a different, older libc.  I've downloaded the stable libc6 (2.1.3)
and use dpkg-deb -x to extract it... but this doesn't work because of
ld-linux.so.2 or something:

  $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/src/old-libc/lib:/lib app
  app: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/src/old-libc/lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_debug_impcalls, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

Anyone have any hints or help for me?

Thanks....

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools