Re: Linux compatible IDE CDRW

>On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 12:36:02AM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
>> Which would be the best for me to get?
>>
>> Plextor CD-RW PX-W1210TA 12/10/32 IDE 2m Buffer Burn-Proof
>> Sony CD-RW CRX160EBK 12/8/32 Internal IDE Retail Kit 4mb PC/MAC
>> Yamaha CD-RW Internal 16Wx10RWx40R IDE Retail Kit CRW2100EVK
>>
>> If I had a choice of these, is there anything to choose between them in
>> terms of compatibility with Linux and ide-scsi driver?
>>
>> Even though I can't find anywhere that says anything about any of these
>> being MMC-complient, are they?  I read somewhere that all CDRW IDE
>> drives since 1999 should be MMC-complient.
>>
>Actually, I can't seem to get the Plextor in Brisbane, Australia.
>Also, I noticed that the Sony has a 4mb buffer rather than the
>Plextor's 2mb.  I assume, all things being equal, this would be an
>advantage.  Is this a valid assumption?

My understanding after reading about Burn-Proof on the Plextor web page is that
this technology pretty much prevents coasters...PERIOD! If the buffer freaks
out, the CD doesn't become a coaster as Burn-Proof will prevent that. So, even
though the Sony has a 4mb buffer (or the Yamaha with an 8mb buffer), any buffer
problems could result in a coaster.

Of course, shouldn't the greater the buffer size enable a faster write time?
Either way, I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for accuracy!

Scott