Re: Printing problems with pdq & Kernel 2.4.4

Volker Schlecht wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 09:19:49PM +0200, Volker Schlecht wrote:
> > Kernel Versions: 2.4.2 & 2.4.4
> > pdq: 2.2.1-4
> > on Woody
> > When I tell pdq to print a given (Postscript) document, it tells me that
> > it doesn't know how to print this filetype and cancels.
> > According to my boot messages though, the Kernel sets up /dev/lp0 and
> > recognizes my printer (well, it reads the vendor information).
>
> I just got what I hope is a hint as to where the problem might be buried.
> I just upgraded file to 3.33-5 from unstable and tested again - and, behold,
> printing worked with 2.4.4 - until I tried to play with pdq a little and see
> what it would do with a pdf file.
> Of course it refused to print the pdf, but subseqently refused to print all
> other files (which it printed flawlessly before).
>
> With Kernel 2.4.2 a pdf would not irritate pdq in any way. (Keep the flamethrowers
> in your pocket. Apparently it _has_ something to do with the Kernel, since this is
> the only thing that changed between tests)
>
> I'm still puzzled, though, and would love to hear if anyone has an idea
> about what may be behind all this.

Nothing to add, only to say that with a similar configuration (here using sid),
suddenly happened i can print ps file only one time, the second attempt result in a
pdq/gs error (something about failing to decode the file). Seems we are at least two
with the same problem, but don't know where (i.e. for what package) to file a bug
report in. I will exclude gs cause it in hold (i've build it myself to include the
stp driver) for ages (the version installed is still the 5.10-11, now in sid  there
is the 5.50-7, probably need to upgrade =).

It's strange, after a reboot i can print again, but only the first time. Not tried
yet with a older kernel...

Andrea