Re: 12 box network in small school

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 03:08:55PM +0000, joe golden wrote:
| Can I use this as a *server* for a 12 machine linux network.
|
| Main workstation uses will be internet research and word processing.  I'm
| sure this machine could function fine as a NFS file server and proxy server
| for web pages.  Could it handle 12 simultaneous X sessions smoothly?
| Administration would be much easier if One server was doing all security and
| file permission checking, etc.

What kind of clients do you have?  If they are pentium class machines
(ie not i386 or i486 or some other slow processor), then I would
suggest trying to create diskless X terminals or something like that.
Try and get each of the workstations' CPUs and memory to share the
load by doing all work locally and using the server only for disk
management and printing, etc.  I haven't actually tried this out
myself, but from what I have read it sounds like a good idea.

-D