quiet dialup tip - away the modem roar

    Hello,

I've finally solved my ip-up script and now my scripts are running when I
connect to my ISP. Wahoo.

Next I hate hearing dialup on modems. It's obnoxious! Here is what I did to
my /etc/chatscripts/provider file pppconfig made for me:

Under the string:
                # modeminit
                '' ATZ
                # ispnumber
Now add:	OK-AT-OK ATM0     Just before you see Your local dialing number:
                OK-AT-OK ATDT4445555

This (at least on *my* modem) shuts off the speaker of the modem!
Finally, you can do this if you dial up more then one ISP, just add the entry
to each of the dialups in /etc/chatscripts/

tatah
--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls/TELE: USA-707-442-6579\/A GNU-Debian linux user
Email: ke6sls@arrl.net WEB: http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls ICQ: 12741145