alsa-drivers oops my kernel when i reload them

i'm using the alsa 0-0.9beta4 drivers as built from source
distributed with debian unstable.

since debian has started distributing the beta drivers (including
beta3), i've oopsed my kernel every time i've recompiled the
modules, installed them, unloaded the old, loaded the new, then
tried to play an mp3 thru mpg123 -> esd -> oss emulation.
unfortunately, i can't get a log of the oops, since it takes the
whole machine with it.  even magic sysrq seems to be mostly broken
at that point.

any suggestions.  i'll try to answer any questions sent my way.
thanks.
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |