RE: [users] My Dilemma w/ ssh

I'm having the same problem (can't login), and hosts.deny didn't solve it.
I can't ssh to localhost either.

I'm new to debian, and I'm just trying to get a usable system set up -- one
that I can ssh into.  I haven't figured out the package management system
very well, so I dl'd and built my own OpenSSH.  On an earlier install, I did
exactly the same thing and it worked -- this time I selected MD5 passwords,
and I think that's tripping me up.  I remember getting hung up with this on
slackware, too, but I can't remember what I did.  I added the OpenSSH
example PAM file to /etc/pam.d, but that didn't do it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...