Re: potato or woody?

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 02:45:35PM +0200, Stefano wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm going to install debian gnu/linux on a new computer and I'm wondering
> if woody is stable enough. What would you suggest me: potato or woody?
>
> The system is a PC workstation used for statistical analysis and
> "office-like" activity (and a bit of C++ programming too).

If you have to ask, you probably want potato.

potato is one of the most bug-free, secure-out-of-the-box os distributions
on the planet.  If your overriding objective is to spend more time getting
work done and less time futzing with your computer, then potato is the
way to go.

On the other hand, you can play with the latest toys (xfree86 4.0.3,
gcc 3.0 prerelease, lots more) and still get work done with woody.

Woody changes daily, and has more bugs than potato.  If you are going to
install it, you should have some tolerance for instability, and have some
ability to work around and through problems.  As a minimum, you should be
comfortable running dpkg from the command line (or enough *nix experience
be able to get comfortable fast).

my 2 cents

Mike