From: Hugh Brown
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 7:19 PM
Subject: DHCP + ADSL = HELP

I'm running Debian 2.2, and I've got Telus (Vancouver, Canada) ADSL at
home.  Currently I'm using the 2.2.17 kernel, but I want to upgrade to
2.4.4 so I can rip CDs (my burner hangs the whole system under 2.2.17) and
get a few improvements to IPv6 networking.  Everything works fine when I
try booting 2.4.4 -- except for DHCP.  I cannot pick up a lease to save my
life.

When I boot 2.2.17, I pick up a lease during booting in a matter of
seconds; both the LAN and the ADSL LEDs on my stock 3Com ADSL modem flash
a few times simultaneously, and then I've got the lease.  But when I boot
2.4.4, only the LAN light flashes, with increasing pauses between each
one, before it finally gives up.  When I try tcpdump, all I see are the
outgoing BOOTP requests -- nothing back from anyone.

I've compiled 2.4.4 with CONFIG_FILTER and CONFIG_PACKET.  I'm
insmod-ing ethernet modules in at boot time, but I've checked the logs and
my 2 ethernet cards are both getting the same eth[0,1] each time.  Just in
case, I tried running the dhcp clients on the other ethernet card: no
luck.  There isn't anything in the logs or dmesg about problems with the
ethernet card drivers; my LAN can be accessed just fine through the card
that isn't attached to the ADSL modem.

Different clients:  I've tried dhcpcd (my usual), tried dhcp-client and
I've tried pump.  All worked under 2.2.17, and failed under 2.4.4.  I've
tried logging the complaints to syslog (I *really* wish they had a verbose
option), and all that shows up is a complaint about timing out.

I am really at my wit's end here.  All three clients worked *straight* out
of the box under 2.2.17.  tcpdump doesn't show *any* reply from any server
when I run the clients manually under 2.4.4.  I can't find anything about
DHCP being broken under 2.4.4 on Google or Debian.  Can anyone help
me?

The relevant part of .config for 2.4.4:

CONFIG_PACKET=y
# CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP is not set
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
# CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y

(Is it possible that the two occurrences of CONFIG_NETLINK are causing
problems?)

I am now blessing your copy of "AOL for Dummies"...

St Aardvark the Carpeted
http://www.saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com
Because the plural of Anecdote is Myth.