Re: X hangs in mysterious ways

> I am running Sid with XFree86 4.0.3-3 on Linux 2.4.4.  My
> predicament, you see, is that my X server seems to hang the machine
> whenever it fancies.  I have maximum uptimes of about 15 to 20 minutes
> of usage.  If I don't touch my X server, it's fine.  If I don't use
> my X server, it's fine.  I've tried MemTest86, but that passed with
> flying colours.  Any suggestions for log files to look at, or diagnostics
> to run?

Sounds like it could be a video driver problem.  There are a couple things
you can try:

1. In the "Device" section for your video card in your XF86Config-4 file,
try adding:
    Option "NoAccel"

    There may be other driver-specific options for your card.  What driver
are you using?

2. In the same section, instead of your current driver, try:
    Driver "vesa"

    This probably won't give you great performance, but at least it should
be stable.

-- Kevin