various selection/clipboard mechanisms in X

Greetings to everyone.

May I ask where I may find a tutorial or explanation about the use of
the mouse under X?  I am puzzled by the variations.  Some programs can
cut and paste into others, while others cannot.  Reading mail in
Sylpheed, I just noticed, I was able to just highlight a URL (left
button drag) and then just click with middle button in Netscape
Location slot.  Then, in another instance when the url was highlighted
by Sylpheed this didn't work.  Presumeably this is because the URL did
not have "http://"; prefixed to it in the first instance.

This is not  a problem isolated to Sylpheed, however.  There are three
different selection buffer/clipboard programs, not one of which can do
exactly what I need: xclipboard, xpaste, and xcutsel.  I haven't yet
figured out the difference.  I think xclipboard is the best; but I
cannot print without again copying into one of the others!  (Why can't
I just highlight a paragraph in Netscape and print the highlighted
region?  Emacs rules!)

Emacs has it's own way of working with the mouse, and interoperability
isn't assured, but it seems to be getting better recently.

Is there some setup to get all these things talking?

Alan Davis
Marianas High School,

--
adavis@saipan.com                                      1-670-235-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

 I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
 hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one on
 every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)