Re: no mutt-ssl but we can have apacvhe-ssl? what's the deal?

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 09:29:15PM -0700, Erik Steffl (steffl@bigfoot.com) wrote:
>   the README.Debian for mutt says:
>
> SSL
> support
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
> SSL support has been disabled because debian cannot legally distribute
> binaries of a GPLed program like mutt linked with a library with a
> four clauses BSD-style license like the one of OpenSSL.
> If you want SSL support you'll have to install the libssl09-dev package
> and recompile the package yourself after editing debian/rules.
> No source changes are needed.
>
>   there are other *-ssl packages like apache ssl. why can't we have
> mutt-ssl? is there any chance there will be mutt-ssl in the future?
> what's the story?
>
>   thanks for any insight
>
> 	erik

I'm a newbie, I have very little notion of what SSL is, or does, and if
there is a difference between OpenSSL & SSL. I have been doing some
recent reading on PGP and GPG though because I would like to try to
protect some amount of my privacy.

Anyway, I have mutt version  1.2.5-4 loaded (potato) and my
/usr/share/doc/README.Debian file indicates the following:

Experimental crypto modules
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This version of mutt has been patched to dynamically load at run time
the modules needed for SSL security and Kerberos V authentication.
The Kerberos code is untested.

Needed packages:

libssl09 (for SSL support)
heimdal-lib (for Kerberos support)

Please try to break it and report any problem or success story to
md@linux.it.

****
I don't know if this helps, but it appeared relavant to your
information qwest.

Barry Mathieu

I'm a newbie, not a programmer, but interested in the potential power.