Re: Unable to gain access to secure sites

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:00:07AM +0800, Tham Kine Seng (kineseng@yahoo.com.sg) wrote:
> Hi to all,
> 	I'm a newbie to Linux sys and I need some help here. I am unable to
> access secure sites using mozilla and netscape, is there any package
> that I should install on my Debian before I can do it? Or is it a
> Kernel thing? I am using Kernel 2.4.
>
> 	Thanks for any help rendered.
>
> =====
> Cheers,
> Just Me!!

>From a newbie,

I have the following packages installed and accessing secure (https)
appears to be no problem:

navigator-base-477
navigator-smotif-477
netscape-java-477
netscape-base-477
netscape-base-4-libc5
netscape-base-4
communicator-base-477
communicator-smotif-477

If you are simply going to do browsing, without need for mail,
newsreading, & simple html editor, I believe you only need to install
the navigator & netscape packages.

If you are really new to Debian, you will probably want to use
"dselect", or you can simply use "apt-get" if your sources file is
working. For example:

apt-get update
apt-get install netscape-base-477

By the way, I remember seeing a thread recently in this mailing list
that provided some information on what netscape packages to install for
just web browsing.

I have tried Mozilla, and for the beginner I don't
think it is the way to go. Similar problem, couldn't access
secure sites. Yes, I do think there is a way this can be fixed by
downloading some software.

If you are watching this mailing list, you
may be interested in another thread that has something like, "browser
review" in the subject.

Good Luck!
Barry Mathieu