Dpkg broken.

I was trying to install LyX, with dpkg -i lyx*.deb, but was told that libforms0.89 was not installed.

So after that I kept making errors, downloading libforms-bin and
installing that by mistake, downloading libforms and Lyx for the wrong
Architecture (Mk68 and Sparc) by mistake.  I finally got the correct
deb files on my local machine and tried (as root)

# dpkg -i libforms0.89_0.89-9.deb

and got the following error message

Selecting previously deselected package libforms0.89.
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing libforms0.89_0.89-9.deb (--install):
 files list file for package `procmail' contains empty filename
 libforms0.89_0.89-9.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

The same error was generated when I tried a-t-get remove procmail
(thought that re-installing procmail might cure the problem), and now
my system is un-upgradeable.

Can anyone help me fix dpkg.  I just found that I was making too many
trpoes with LaTeX commands and not identifying them until it was too
late, , and I would like an easier life with LxY.

Thanks in advance.

Kd