log server

I've set up a log server, which I fire up as -
/sbin/syslogd -r

The machine I'm logging from I've recompiled Debian source and pointed it
to a different syslog.conf file.  I've got it set up to log as normal
but also log to the server, with the following -
*.*		@host

So far all I have seen logged to the server is restarting  syslogd.
I'm testing with a line -
*.*		/dev/tty4
and tons of stuff is flying by.  I log in and out and still nothing on
the server, but a restart.

Anyone know why this is only working partially for me?  I have -
syslog  514/udp
in /etc/services.
Thanks,
kent