Re: Karsten's browser reviews (updated)

on Tue, May 15, 2001 at 07:36:57AM -0500, John Hasler (john@dhh.gt.org) wrote:
> I wrote:
> > It still crashes, and it [Galeon] still gives me no control of images.
>
> Karsten M. Self writes:
> > What image controls do you want?
>
> Netscape lets me turn off images in "preferences" and then click on
> individual image icons to download them.  It also has an images command to
> download all the images on a page.  With Galeon it's all or nothing.
>
> > There is an option to restrict images to the current site,...
>
> At 28.8 that isn't good enough.
>
> > ...as well as an image manager similar to Mozilla's.
>
> I don't know what you mean (there is, of course, no documentation).

    Settings / Preferences / Advanced / Filtering / Cookie Manager

...brings up a Persistent Data Manger dialog with options for:

  - Cookies
  - Cookie Sites
  - Image Sites
  - Passwords
  - Password Sites

...not all the access hooks are built in yet, but the functionality's
there.

You're right about there not being a load images button by default, but
with detachable menus, you can get the load/don't load images buttons
where you want them, and hit a page reload.

I run a transparent squid proxy cache on OpenBSD, get about at 20% hit
rate, which drastically improves browsing performance, particularly as
most images are both large and invariant on a website -- they tend to be
served from cache.