Make Menuconfig Problem

Recovering from a disk crash I installed linux2.2.17 from an official debian 2.2-r0 CD set but overlooked the setting which would have included a parport in the kernel. To correct this I decided to build a new kernel. I downloaded linux2.2.19.tar.bz2 from the linux web site, unpacked it and tried to run make menuconfig. The program aborted with the message:

                          In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
                          dialog.h:29 curses.h  No such file or directory

apt-get --fix-broken dist-upgrade reports all my files uptodate for the stable distribution. I have also updated versions of all the required files listed in Documentation/Changes.

What have I missed?

Tom George