newbie install problem

I'm a Debian newbie.  I am stuck on an installation
problem.  When I reboot from hard disk after
installing , I get one 'L' of LILO following by line
after line of "40 ".

Any hints or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Here's some background info:

I am using idepci install method.
I took files from
debian.dists.stable.main.disks-i386/current

I put base2_2.tgz on a CD-ROM
I put images-1.44/idepci/rescue.bin on a 1.44M FD
                         root.bin          "
                         driver-1.bin      "

My PC is an circa 1995 P75.  BIOS doesn't seem smart
enough to boot from CD.

The hard disk is partitioned from an earlier Red Hat
6.1 installation.
   hda is partitioned as hda1, hda5, hda6, hda8, hda9

=====