Re: Copying one hard drive to another - links

Alvin Oga <aoga@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com> writes:

> i think the problem you have w/ hardlinks is more basic,
> how to create hard links or soft links... not a tar problem

> relative links is the preferred methodology ( hard or soft )
> and avoids the leading / and allows the portability of
> the files to be restored or shared in any level of hiercharcy

I don't think relative links make sense for hard links.  My
understanding is that in the file system, hard links are
stored by referencing the inode.  It is only tar that needs
to convert this to a textual form for storage in the tar file.

By the way, the files I had problems unpacking were standard Debian
executables in /usr/bin and /bin.  So I maintain that tar can't
unpack hard links properly.  Test it out yourself if you don't
believe me, Alvin!  :-)

Dan