Re: linux FOREVER!

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 02:52:37AM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
> just wanted to share:
>   a production system of mine (very very important actually):
>   i use rsync, i specify .. accidentally as opposed to .
>   i use the --delete flag
>   --> /etc/* recursively gone.
>   AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>
>   but: i have a week-old backup.
>   i am ssh'd into the thing. no problems though
>     (what happens when you delete the registry of a running windoze
>      system?)
>   i can't rsync anymore (/etc/passwd gone)
>   but proftpd works. so i dump the backup etc as tarball and restore.
>
>   then i use tripwire to at least discover which files i modified in
>   the last seven days...
>
> wow. too much for my heart at 3am. but i think the system will
> survive...

Heeee!

I've had this sort of thing happen to me once before. Except I was
grabbing some files from an old backup, and accidentally type in
'rm -r /usr' instead of 'rm -r /tmp/usr'. ALSO, my week-old backup
was made just before I did a revision upgrade (I think it was hamm
-> slink). I hand-reinstalled a few packages (would have given my
roommate's right arm for 'apt-get install --reinstall' back then)
and ran the machine for about a month before rebuilding it.

-- Ferret