3c509B driver, trouble configuring

Yesterday I ran the 3c5x9cfg utility to turn off PnP, as the Ethernet
HOWTO recommended.  My card is now seen by Windoze as 'in Legacy
mode', good, but when I run modconf my situation hasn't improved since
I first tried to configure this driver, before I ran 3c5x9cfg.

Here's a transcript of my latest session with the modconf script:
: Enter Command-Line Arguments
:    3c509
:    io = 0
:    irq = 0
:
: Please enter any command-line arguments for the 3c509 module. Many
: modules can autoprobe and do not require additional parameters.
:
: > io = 210 irq = 11
:
: Installing module 3c509. If the device isn't there, or isn't
: configured correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to
: a minute.
:
: /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/3c509.o: invalid parameter parm_io
: /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/3c509.o: insmod
: /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/3c509.o failed
: /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/3c509.o: insmod 3c509 failed
: Installation failed.

I'd thought that after I turned off the PnP & changed transceiver to
internal that I could assume Linux (or modconf) would be able to
'see' my 3c509 card.  The parameters I entered, above, are the same
that I assigned to the card (again, with 3c5x9cfg).

I'm not very familiar with the kernal module technology, so I'm not
sure what to investigate next.  Perhaps I should have used a different
format for the io & irq parameters?

thanks in advance,

ben taylor

mithras@dhp.com / http://www.dhp.com/~mithras
"If you buy a person a ticket, they'll see a movie that day.
 But if you show a person how to sneak in, they'll see movies for a lifetime."
 Mark Stanley, _Freefall_, http://www.purrsia.com/freefall/