Re: I'm so lost

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 09:46:28AM -0600, thedoghouse@sunvalley.net wrote:

> I have made the big leap for me and installed Debian. I had a few
> problems (once it crashed during install) but I'm there, I'm at bash

I dont think you say what version you installed, but see if you can get
the latest potato, or upgrade to it as your machine looks recentish
you want the best support - in particular a recent kernel.

I always think that for people new to Gnu/Linux the single most
important thing to learn is the packaging system. If you can find your
way around that then a lot of things make sense..  For Debian these
are apt-get apt-cache and dpkg in particular.. the programs that
install the deb files containing the system.  Pretty much everything
on your hardrive came from a .deb file and so its not surprising that
learning your way around exploring debs and working out what comes
from what is v.important.

In case you don't know, the 'man' command tries to find a manual page
for whatever you throw at it.. as does 'info'  , and finally more
information can be found in /usr/share/doc for all your installed
packages.. There are a lot of linux newbie sites too, so search for
"linux newbie help tutorial" or something like that at www.google.com

Finally, be sure to check out www.debian.org for the documentation
there. Seems like a whole bunch of reading, but if you can find
something to concentrate on and learn bit by bit its not so bad.. give
it a few months and it'll seem less strange

good luck