Re: Problems with sendmail

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Robert Schmidt wrote:

> I upgraded to woody and downloaded the newest version of Sendmail. I've been
> running 8.9.3
> for a while with no problems.

What version of db2/db3 is installed? Did you remake the maps
(newaliases, etc)?

> The problem now is that /var/spool/mqueue-client gets filled with local
> bounces: like

> <<< 550 5.7.1 <root@notquitesonic.com>... Relaying denied
> 550 5.1.1 root... User unknown
>
> and if I restart sendmail I get this on the console:
>
> root... User unknown
> root... User unknown
> postmaster... User unknown
> savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere
>
> Further if I try to send mail from mutt I get:
>
> Error sending message, child exited 71 (Operating system error.).

Drat, I've seen this, but don't recall (other than the libdb2/libdb3
version changes) what might cause it

> Anyways if anyone has an idea drop me a line. I can provide more info
> you if you need it. You are welcome to telnet into smtp at notquitesonic.com
> if it is any help. It is currently receiving mail fine from external hosts.
> And for a while yesterday I was able to send.

>From an external site:
expn root
250 2.1.5 <robert@notquitesonic.com>

>From the box itself should then work fine *UNLESS* you're using LDAP, or
some other means to verify your users.

If you're using ldap, be sure to setup libnss-ldap.

--
Rick Nelson
Debian Linux is a solid, comprehensive product, and a genuine pleasure to