Re: TuxTops Amethyst (Compal N20U OEM) lockups, video/APM suspected

on Sat, May 12, 2001 at 11:05:47AM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> Previously posted to debian-laptop, no responses yet.  Problems continue
> after latest updates, seems to be display related as leaving system
> powered on w/ X off has yet to crash.  Slightly updated.

More data.

All of the following are based on booting the system with:

    linux init=/bin/bash

...at the LILO prompt.

I've run several 4-times-through memtest cycles on the box.  One locked,
the other three or four completed without problems.  So that's about
sixteen cycles through memory, 15 of which went w/o problems.  I don't
feel comfortable attributing the one lock-up to memory as this isn't a
consistent failure.  The tests didn't appear to exercise all memory
however, I've got 128MB on the box, but memtest was topping out at about
64-66 MB, it wasn't allocating anything more than this.  Tips?

I ran through three or four kernel kernel builds, one with a "-j 4" gcc
switch to excercise the compiler and CPU.  No faults.

I'm stressing the filesystems by creating a large file (all free space,
dd if=/dev/zero of=TESTFILE bs=1024), then attempting to wipe it with
the "wipe" secure deletion utility.  This is a tool to remove all traces
of data from a file by first overwriting it multiple times with specific
patterns of data, using direct access to bypass disk buffering and such.
In one case (/var), I got a "short write" error, and the file wasn't
deleted.  Subsequent attempts to umount /var failed because the
partition was being accessed...by a reiserfsd process.  This process is
unkillable.  I was able to remount the partition ro, however.

I'm working through the remaining partitions and trying to come up with
other parts of the system to stress (other than me, that is).

Clues?