Re: funky hardware problem

----- Original Message -----
From: Stefan Srdic <linuxbox@telusplanet.net>
To: Monte Milanuk <milanuk@yahoo.com>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: funky hardware problem
> Well, your running an Pentium class system so that rules out improper
jumper
> settings on the hard drive controller :-D
>
> Try to put the CD-ROM on its own IDE channel and configure it as the
master
> device. If that doesn't work try to diable the CD-ROM in the system BIOS
and
> then let Linux try to detect the device. Try passing a few arguments to
LILO at
> boot time (ex: ide1=autotune hdc=cdrom) and see what happens.
>

> Stef

I haven't tried passing any arguments to LILO (yet); I may have to try that
when I get home from work.  But as far as which drive is where:

hda -- 1.2GB HD
hdb -- nothing
hdc -- 24X CDROM
hdd -- ZIP 100

I have played around w/ every conceivable variation, and fiddled w/ the bios
as well.  This is the only 'pattern' that boots w/i 2-3 hours ;)

Thanks,

Monte