Re: BASH question

on Fri, May 11, 2001 at 03:06:07AM -0400, Sunny Dubey (dubeys@voyager.bxscience.edu) wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Anyone know where I might find info about using BASH to create an
> installer for a application?  something that would just ask the person
> various questions, and use that info to create config files and what
> not?

bash can be used for such scripts.  A typical motif is:

    echo -e "Where do you want to install foo? \c"
    read wherefoo
    case foo in:
        bar) qux;;
	baz) quux;;
	*) default;;
    esac

You're going to get more informative results from the list if you can
outline what you want your script to do and pose some specific
questions.

There are also probably tools geared specifically toward this sort of
thing, though I'd probably start with a bash script myself.

The bash man page, the O'Reilly books _Linux in a Nutshell_ and _UNIX
Power Tools_ are also good general references.

You could also look at some standard installer scripts...trying to think
of one off the top of my head.  None are floating up that aren't
attached to some monster applications -- DB/2's installer comes to mind,
but that's a pretty hefty download..

Cheers.