Re: Program to convert binary stream to ASCII

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 06:30:58PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hmmmmm.....
>
> I don't *think* this will work.  What this thing needs to do is take
> raw binary and convert it to ascii numbers (what my dad is doing, is
> hooking a credit-card reader up to a Linux, so he needs the binary
> stream of #'s from the reader to be converted to a more usable, ascii
> form)

"Binary" could mean alot of things.  Is he sure it doesn't just spit
ASCII out on a serial device  ('cat /dev/ttyS0', or whatever)?  If it's
binary, then there's probably some special "protocol" so there'd have to
be a special program to read it.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>