Re: [users] Re: Accesing internet thru MS Proxy server

> also sprach Hall Stevenson (on Thu, 10 May 2001 10:02:42PM -0500):
> > Just curious, can you access the internet using Netscape on
> > a Windows box ?? If not, it's likely that MS Proxy is also doing
> > (NTLM) authentication. If it is, you may be out of luck.
>
> you can pretty much forget it. micro$oft proxy requires client
> software on each workstation. they thought that out well in terms
> of scalability. but that's what you get when you want to bind your
> customers to your products. all i can say is: micro$oft, you're a
> joke.

I think it can be configured different ways, actually. One way, and
maybe it's the default, is to use NTLM authentication. In that case,
you have to be using a Windows machine to get it to work. For
browsing, you have to be using Internet Explorer (no Netscape,
Mozilla, Opera, etc allowed).

One of the other ways does allow anyone to pass through the proxy,
unauthenticated. This method was suggested by numerous people
involved with mozilla -- as if I had the rights, access, etc to
"fix" it.

Hall