gdm/.Xclients on 2.2?

I'm trying to figure out what's going on behind the gdm login process.
It doesn't appear to execute .xsession, .xinitrc, or .Xclients, but
I've heard tell that it should.

Looking in /etc/gdm/Sessions, I see several possibilities (Debian,
Default, Gnome, and Xsession). My first question is, how does gdm
choose which one to run? It seems to be running Default which is a
symlink to Gnome.

Ok, so it's running Gnome. Now, it explicitly checks
/etc/X11/Xsession.options, where I have

  # configuration options for /etc/X11/Xsession
  # See Xsession.options(5) for an explanation of the available options.
  allow-failsafe
  allow-user-modmap
  allow-user-resources
  allow-user-xsession
  use-ssh-agent

but in fact, it never runs my ~/.xsession file, even though the options
say it would be allowed. Is this a bug or a feature?

This file also contains no mention of .Xclients, although it does run
.gnomerc.

Finally, it ends by running gnome-session.

At the moment, I've short circuited this by putting

  exec /usr/local/bin/fvwm2

at the end of my .gnomerc file. But I've noticed that if I logout a
couple of times, gdm never comes back, so I'm not sure I've done the
right thing.

Comments?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm