Re: How the average guy gets mail...

* Viktor Rosenfeld <rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de>, 2001-05-11 09:01 +0200:
> Andre Berger wrote:
> > * Viktor Rosenfeld <rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de>, 2001-05-10 02:36 +0200:
> > > #!/bin/bash
> > >
> > > if [ -f /etc/fetchmail-users ]; then
> > >       for user in `grep -v '^#' /etc/fetchmail-users`; do
> > >               if [ -f ~$user/.fetchmailrc ];  then
> >
> > This gives root control (and hassle) about everybody's mail.
>
> Nope, you're wrong.  I wrote the scripts above with the explicit goal,
> that every user keeps control over his own ~/.fetchmailrc file, being
> able to change passwords and host information etc.  Root however has the
> priviledge to allow which users have their mail automagically fetched on
> dial-up.

My point was not to bother about users's mail as root at all. Users's
mail is fetched on dial-up if...

> >         if [ -f /home/$i/.fetchmailrc ] && \
> >            [ -f /home/$i/email-addresses ]; then
> >
> > >                       su -c "fetchmail -d 900" $user
>
> Which pretty much does the same thing as my code.  Question: What is the
> ~/email-addresses file for?

Only if that file ~/email-addresses also exists, the users's mail is
fetched on dail-up (The name I chose is stupid, why did I keep it around?!).

> > I'd recommend the "-k" option for an "official", the "-a" option for a
> > "family box". "-k" means the mail stays on the server (because people might
> > also want to have it at home), "-a" for a final destination (fetch all
> > regardless).
>
> I'd say, the best way to keep that information would be the
> ~/.fetchmailrc file of the user.  So he can decide whether he wants to
> keep or fetch all mail and can even differentiate on an account basis.

Fine, I should have thought about that earlier!

A. B.                                       [andre.berger@topmail.de]