Re: AA with potato (strictly)

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 10:10:56AM +0200, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Jens Benecke wrote:
>
> > But that also means that the Linux drivers need a proprietary Kernel
> > module, which is so riddled with patents, NDAs and sub-contracts (which
> [ and also that now a video driver can crash/corrupt the system much
> better than previously with the X I/O process model, like in Windows.  ]

That's the dangers of a kernel module, right. You can always choose not to
use it.

> > So NVidia don't do it out of greed or stupidity, they do it because
> > their lawyers tell them so, and because it cannot be changed that
> > easily, and because 80% of NVidia doesn't NEED it to be changed.
> if the short term net result is to enhance the availability of drivers to
> Linux, good. But I am afraid this is going to be the path of many
> drivers, and thus we will loose in stability, cleanness and freedom.

That's why those drivers will NEVER be shipped by default with Linux -
you can trust in Linus here. Any company who wants this will have to
release source.

Creative saw the light. APC did it right. Nvidia probably will too, in
time - when/if they have the choice.

--
Jens Benecke                            > "Dann nimm lieber gleich Pattex!"
                "Na, ob das was hilft - der Hersteller ist schließlich eine