Re: Debian install/2.4 Kernel/ATA-100 RAID

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi marcus...
>
> from what you're saying...there is NO point to using the hpt-370
> controller... any motherboard will work for you ....
> you're running software raid0/1 as defined in the kernel
>
> to run at ata100 speeds you need to patch the ide driver
> in the kernel...
>
> download the patch and follow the instructions in it or
> search google for those keywords i posted earlier...
>
> basically to patch things... ( not sure if correct for the ide patch )
> 	cd /usr/src
> 	patch -p0 < ide_patch.txt
> 		- if it failed ot patch...you'd get errors
> 	cd linux
> 	make dep ; make clean ; make bzlilo ...etc..

also... never buy hardware unless oyu know linux has a driver
for it and that you saw it working...

right now you can just use any ide port on any motherboard
and you should not see any difference other than /dev/hda
and /dev/hdc is used instead of hde/hdg

==
== also... you really should use the same sized partitions
== for raid0/1... gonna make a mess of it if you dont...
==
== cant read 2Mb file from one disk and nothing from the other disk
== ( no point in striping it ... or no room for the mirror
==