Re: cable modems

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 06:22:43PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 05:54:15PM -0400, Eric R Cheney wrote:
> >
> > Hi all.  I recently got connected using cable modem and noticed that the
> > download speed is terribly slow under linux.  I get good download
> > speeds under Windows2000 but my linux connection is just terrible in
> > comparison.  Anyone know what the story is with linux and cable modems and
> > any fixes?  Any ideas about how I might configure things to improve cable
> > modem speed?
> >
> I've noticed that speed from a friend's cable modem through linux is very
> slow.  I haven't tried it without linux in the setup though...
>
> Have you run tcpdump and checked if the packets are being fragmented?
>
> I can ping every 1sec, and get variations up to 150ms (50ms avg) each sec.
>
> Mike

Maybe its your setup or the network card drivers.  I've been running Debian
(Woody) as a firewall to our roadrunner connection since the first week of
December.  We often see download speeds in the 300-400 kBytes/s range.
The box started out as a 486-66 and is now a Pent-133.  We use Dlink ISA cards
with the ne driver and have a 10base2 LAN.

Ed