Re: GPG on Linux kernel source

Forgot to reply to the 2nd part of the mail, so here goes:

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:28:33PM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I tried to verify the source from www.linux.org, but I had the
> following:
<snip>

> BTW, for verification of originality of the tarball, wouldn't it be
> easier using MD5?
>
> okidz@bdg:~$ md5sum linux-2.4.4.tar.bz2
> b2cb01dfca76829c31ddc61445e4bbb9  linux-2.4.4.tar.bz2

No! md5sum does not give any indication of "where" the file has come
from - only that the checksum is valid. So in essense, the file has been
transferred without errors.

A GPG signature of the file allows you to associate a person/organisation
with the file. He/they signed it.  And if the signature is valid, then the
file has not been tampered with since it left him/them.