Re: trouble booting 2.4.4

"Michael P. Soulier" wrote:

>     Hi there. I just installed kernel-image-2.4.4-686 on my P-III.
> Unfortunately, it panics during the boot, saying that it can't find the root
> partition. I have the root option set to /dev/hda4 in my lilo.conf, and I

possible the kernel doesnt support the ide controller your using. check
the config file, probably named /boot/config-2.4.4 ..and look under the block
devices for your ide controller, if you don't know exactly what your looking
for you may not be able to find it.

also note when your booting the system if the system detects your drives
or not ...chances are it doesn't. if not, then the only way to fix it
is either to compile your own kernel or try to find one with the needed
driver(s) built into the kernel. you can hold shift and page up to scroll
up during the boot process. im not sure if you can still scroll after
the kernel has paniced.

nate

--
:::