Re: [off topic] about terminology

on Mon, May 07, 2001 at 12:39:59AM +0100, raphael calvelli (raphaello-mouse@altern.org) wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I hope this question is not too much off topic, but this looks a good
> place to ask it:
>
> - "free software" is confusing because "free" is "freedom" and "zero
>    costing" together;
> - "open source" is also confusing because of the slight differences
>    between GPL and just Open source softwares;
>
> So, what about use of the term "libre software" ? It is already
> working in italian "libero", french "libre" and spanish "libre".

Both terms have well-established definitions by their respective
backers.  Most disagreements come from those who've chosen to redefine
the terms and then argue the two definitions against each other.

I tend to clarify by stating "FSF free software" and "OSI open source"
on first use.

They work for me.  No alternative is going to resolve all possible
confusions, and is far more likely to introduce both confusion and
conflict in their stead.

My own preferred term is "free software", following the FSF's definition
of four fundamental freedoms.

Cheers.