Setting compile variables

I've been trying to switch over to using "apt-get source" for my new SMP-P3 box
and I noticed the variables
DEB_BUILD_ARCH=i386 DEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU=i386 DEB_BUILD_GNU_SYSTEM=linux
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=i386-linux DEB_HOST_ARCH=i386 DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU=i386
DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM=linux DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE=i386-linux

from the output of the build.  Is there a way to set these so built code is
automatically set to i686?  Are there environment variables somewhere for
enabling i686 and/or SMP by default?  I grepped around my system, but I didn't
find this and the man pages for apt-get and dpkg-buildpackage didn't really say
anything about this.  What about making gcc more SMP-aware (a .gccrc
somewhere?)?  Is there a Debian SMP/optimizing mini-howto somewhere (or should I
think about writing it after I get all this straightened out?)?

--
Matthew H. Ray
mray@ jump.net