Re: Minor Technical Difficulties

 :
> Unless I'm mistaken, the runlevel is irrelevant in Debian (unless you
> as the administrator configure it to be relevent), by default if xdm
> is installed it starts in all multi-user runlevels (2,3,4,5).

It ís.

> RedHat (possibly others?), starts xdm in /etc/inittab rather than from
> a normal rcN.d script, and uses runlevel 5 for graphic mode, runlevel
> 3 for console mode.
>
> Debian uses runlevel 2 as the default.
>
> -Jon

I always wondered, why are there different ways of using the runlevels?

It took me a while to figure out why "telinit 3" won't kill X!

Danie.

--
"In Smalltalk, everything is an object"

If you have procedural programming experience, this is a good mantra to
repeat for about 6 months.
                                        -- Seen in Linux Gazette