Re: Shutdown/switching computer power off automatically ?

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 07:56:19AM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> Darren Wyn Rees wrote:
> > What is Linux Mandrake doing differently, say compared with a recent
> > Debian, which just hangs at "power down/off" ?
>
> The difference is on the setting of the kernel.
> I use Debian and my system get powered off after "poweroff" command; of
> course, the feature came after I had recompiled the kernel.
>
> BTW, I think it would be nicer if all the Linux distros assume that all
> Intel motherboards are ATX. How many bytes would get added if you have
> the APM support on the kernel?

Well, this distro _does_ include APM support compiled into the kernel.
However, that support is turned off by default because it's insane to
not support the least common denominator.

If you read the thread you'll see lots of folks suggesting the
"apm=on" append line or kernel boot argument ... that turns on the APM
support that's in the stock kernel :)

In short, you didn't have to recompile the kernel to get APM, though
there are plenty of good reasons to compile your own kernel IMO.

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.