apt-get failures?

I want to try upgrading to testing (woody).  First I went to the debian
site and plucked the following sources directly from them:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main non-free

Then I did the following:

apt-get update
apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade

176 packages upgraded, 41 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
Need to get 92.3MB of archives. After unpacking 65.3MB will be used.

I'm good with that so I say yes...

I am seeing the following problems:

Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/main libc6 2.2.2-4
400 Bad Request
Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/main libncurses5 5.2.20010318-1
Bad header line
Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/main libldap2 2.0.7-5
404 Not Found
Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/main lilo 1:21.7-3
404 Not Found
Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/main binutils 2.11.90.0.5-1
404 Not Found

Thing about this one is a friend of mine did the exact same upgrade not
10 minutes before me and it worked flawlessly.  Ideas?  How much risk is
there to go ahead and update with that many files not found?

Then at the end of the download it spits out a ton of this:

Fetched 85.8MB in 33m22s (42.9kB/s)
Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.2.2-4_i386.deb
400 Bad Request
Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/ncurses/libncurses5_5.2.20010318-1_i386.deb
Bad header line
Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/bash/bash_2.05-3_i386.deb
Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/u/util-linux/bsdutils_2.11b-4_i386.deb
Size mismatch

See those "Size mismatch"?  What the heck is going on?

Is this one of those, it's too early to expect a successful dist-upgrade?
Or could there be something else going on that I don't know about that
I'm doing wrong?

Bill