Gnus: two questions

Thanks to everyone who helped me to get gnus going.

My first question relates to the problem I had in sending the second
one to the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup: Gnus refused to send it
complaining about a void nntp-soup-request variable or something like
that.  I could not get gnus to work with slrnpull so I installed
leafnode.  I can read the newsgroups, but not post to them.  I saw
something in the documentation about gateways and changed my .gnus to
contain the following lines from an example in the documentation:

--------------------------------------
(setq gnus-post-method '(nngateway
                     "mail2news@replay.com"
                     (nngateway-header-transformation
                     nngateway-mail2news-header-transformation)))
---------------------------------------

But that did not make any difference to the problem.

How do I configure gnus and leafnode to send messages to a newsgroup?

My second question - which I tried to send to the newsgroup but failed
to do so:

I have started using gnus a few days ago for both newsgroups (with
leafnode) and mail.

I have in my .gnus-file :
-----------------
(setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
      #'(lambda (group)
       (cond ((string= group "Debian")
               180)
             ((string= group "Lug")
               61)
             ((string= group "Gedagte")
               61)
             ((string= group "Ander") 180)
	      ((string= group "Sekuriteit") 31)
             (t
               7))))

So the articles/mail marked as read or ready for expiry are still
there.  But how do I get them to show up in the summary when needed?

Regards.

Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336.  Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536
     "Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them