Re: [bmw2288@yahoo.com: installing xfree86]

Quoting Branden Robinson (branden@debian.org):

> Can someone help this person?
>
> ----- Forwarded message from ubto <bmw2288@yahoo.com> -----
>
> From: ubto <bmw2288@yahoo.com>
> To: branden@debian.org
> Subject: installing xfree86
> Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 21:41:23 -0700 (PDT)
>
> I am new to Debian and am having problems getting
> dselect to install from floppy. All the files I
> downloaded have a ".DEB" file extension. Dselect keeps
> saying that these are not Packages. What am I doing
> wrong?

Using the wrong tool. To install debian packages, just use

dpkg -i filenames...

e.g. dpkg -i /floppy/*DEB

Dselect is an automated tool that requires "knowledge" in the
 ------
form of Packages files - descriptions of packages and location
of their files. You've done that bit yourself already by
putting your selected packages onto a floppy.
             ------

Cheers,