Debian 2.2r3 - pure Potato

I've got a Potato system which has been regularly updated, but I've also
flirted with things like Helix Gnome and installed a few other things
from unstable over the last few months.

I'd like to get back to the Potato purity and stability of 2.2r3 and have
acquired cds to that end.

If I do an

apt-get dist-upgrade

will it purge the odd packages and leave me with unsullied Potato, or
would it be better to re-install to get that?

Any wisdom on this would be much appreciated

with thanks

Glyn
--
                            so here we are then....