Netscape v.s. C source code

Hi,

I have HTML-ized documentation for a code library that contains links
to the actual header files.  Clicking on the link is supposed to show
the contents of the "fool.h" file, for example.

However, instead of displaying the text in the netscape window,
I get a little popup showing the first few dozen lines and the
message
	<< stderr diagnostics have been truncated >>

with an "OK" button.  It is the same popup you sometimes get when
netscape runs a "helper" application (e.g. ghostview) to display
something.

I looked through netscape's list of "helper apps" in the preferences
panel, and discovered several things with mime types like

	text/x-csrc
	text/x-chdr

that were set to be handled by "unknown:promptuser" or something
(I've mucked about and can't recall exactly).  However, the option
to be handled by "Navigator" is greyed out and un-selectable.

WTF?  It's *text*, after all.  What magic spell do I need to convince
navigator to put it into the main window like a "foo.txt" file?

Thanks so much,
-Steve

P.S.  This is a Debian/unstable system, with Communicator 4.77.