Re: kde2

* Jaye Inabnit ke6sls <ke6sls@snowcrest.net> (2001-05-02 17:25):
> On Wednesday 02 May 2001 08:06, David Richards wrote:
> > I have just got linux format in the uk and it has kde2.1 on the cd. Has
> > anyone installed it yet and will i be able to get any packages that it will
> > needs, that arent included on the cd via apt-get ?
>
> Linux format? Maybe you mean linux *distro*?

Linux Format is a Linux magazine distributed in the UK.

> kde2 afaik doesn't ship with debian (but anyone could if they wanted to). The
> latest potato builds are available, go to http://kde.debian.net and it will
> tell you how to set your apt source.list up. I'm using it now, and it still
> has a few quirks yet is a very full featured gui. I think you will enjoy
> using it.

IIRC when Linux Format shipped a copy of Helix Gnome on their CD, it
was only in rpm format.  Its highly unlikely that they'll put debs
onto it as well, since they try and cater for the majority of users
(who will probably have an rpm based distro).

The best thing to do is to check the contents of the CD for any .deb
files and install them via dpkg -i if they are. But more
than likely they only have the rpms and you'll be better off
installing it by modifying your sources.list with the instructions on
the link above.

--
Sean Quinlan (smq@gmx.co.uk)