Re: netatalk setup gaflooey

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 08:45:19AM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> Even though my atalkd starts fine I thought this sounded like a good
> idea.
>
> I did this by commenting out the following in /etc/init.d/netatalk.
> /usr/sbin/atalkd
> echo -n " atalkd"
>
> > /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf:
> > hostname   -tcp  -noddp -nosetpassword -nouservol -noguest
>
> Is hostname arbitrary?

i'm not sure -- i think it's what shows up on your connecting mac
as "server name" once you get past the 'ip address' dialog.

> output:
>
> /etc/init.d/netatalk start
> Starting AppleTalk Daemons (this will take a while):bind: Cannot assign
> requested address
> bind: Cannot assign requested address
>  afpd papd.

according to ethan's recommendation, you don't need to run
netatalk as a daemon -- it runs nicely as a tcp-induced
hallucination... which is apparently what

	# cat >> /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf
	macFileServer   -tcp  -noddp -nosetpassword -nouservol -noguest
	^D

facilitates. (correct me if i'm wrong, folks.)

> # update-rc.d -f netatalk remove
> What is Will doing here?

following instructions. :)

"man update-rc.d" shows that it's the Debian tool to use when
changing /etc/rc*.d/* links to your /etc/init.d/* scripts.
now i still have the /etc/init.d/netatalk script if i want to use
it (/etc/init.d/netatalk start, for example) but there's not a
single link to it in any of the /etc/rc?.d/* directories, meaning
it won't be initiated (as a daemon) during boot or runlevel
switching.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #1 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: