Re: ESD no long works after new alsa modules compilation

 I too  have a similar problem. I am able to use xmms, mp3blaster etc
 to play songs. So the audio is working. But, Whenever I am in X, using
 some gnome program, and after shutting down X, the console is filled
 with errors like
      Audio Device open of ... KHz mono 8 bit failed
		Trying .. KHz 8bit mono
		Unsupported sound format0
		sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.

		 SO I tried apt-get remove esound. BUt apt-get says it will remove
		 all gnome packages. SO I abort. Now,how do I get rid of this, or fix
		 this?
Once upon a time, Henrique M Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> found a keyboard. And typed:
>On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:
>> 	I don't know what's happening.. but it seems like my esd can no
>> long startup after I compile and install the new module 0.9+0beta3-1. also
>> some of the option for module ens1371 are no long support, isn't it? it
>> gave me the follow when I start. Anyone knows what's happening?
>>
>> Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
>> Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
>> Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
>[...]
>
>Jeez, prune it a bit the next time, will you.
>
>Anyway, just about everything seems to break with the new alsa modules...
>Timidity will break, esd (yuck!) will break, and I suppose arts (double
>yuck!) will too if it supports alsa in native mode.
>
>Reinstall the old 0.5 modules (and 0.5 alsa-source just in case you need to
>recompile the modules), but keep all the other 0.9 packages. That will solve
>the problem.
>
>I hope "0.9" means "last backwards-incompatible interface changes" in a
>loooooong while.
>
>--
>  "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
>  them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
>  where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
>  Henrique Holschuh

-_-_-_-_End of Original Message-_-_-_-_-_-_-Know Gnu, Know Freedom_

--
 Regards,

  V.Suresh.

  ...Sureshv<at>softhome<dot>net....